Senior Corporate CounselJob ID 1810840 Date posted 07/13/2018 Location: Atlanta, Georgia Apply
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Data Strategy serves as a legal partner for Cox Automotive’s data strategy and technology teams and assists with developing and implementing strategy for data use, including inbound and outbound licensing of data. The Senior Corporate Counsel, Data Strategy is responsible for supporting collaboration across multiple business groups and practice areas to ensure a seamless experience for internal and external clients in a way that optimizes Cox Automotive’s return on data-related investments and lessens its risk profile.
The ideal candidate will have experience in data strategy, software development/licensing, technology/data protection, general corporate matters (including drafting, negotiating, and interpreting contracts), and counseling across a wide range of subjects and will have a demonstrated ability to identify and explain risks or impediments to the business brought about by data-related issues and in developing and clearly articulating strategies for overcoming these issues.
- Provides legal counsel and advice on a broad range of day-to-day operational legal topics, including data strategy, data licensing and general business matters.
- Work with multiple product development groups and other business partners on the development of data strategy and procurement of rights that support their development and commercial plans.
- Partners with internal business clients to develop and execute action plans in order to resolve issues presented in contract negotiations.
- Establishes and maintains a detailed knowledge of the commercial and technology development strategies of the Cox Automotive businesses.
- Assists in complex legal matters including working with management in the creation of defense and/or proactive strategies regarding data.
- Reviews and advises/negotiates data licensing agreements and data strategy matters in commercial contracts, including contracts covering outsourcing, software licensing, maintenance and support, online terms and conditions.
- Reviews, advises on, and negotiates a variety of commercial contracts, including contracts covering software licensing, SaaS, professional services, and online terms and conditions.
- Coordinates with subject matter legal experts and in-house attorneys supporting other solutions groups to ensure efficient delivery of legal services.
- Assists with the development and implementation of forms and procedures for contract and product review.
- Develops strong relationships with internal contacts, including, but not limited to: other in-house attorneys, Security, Risk Management, Finance, and other appropriate departments to ensure a high service level and anticipate special needs.
- Responsible for identifying and helping to address difficult problems that may not be solved using existing practices and procedures; may have to respond and adapt to changing conditions or circumstances, requiring enterprise alignment and new approaches.
- Proven experience in providing legal counsel for software and services businesses, including drafting and negotiation of various types of commercial and data licensing agreements.
- Experience in the automobile industry is a plus.
- Ability to partner with subject matter experts and other in-house attorneys to provide a seamless experience to internal clients in addressing and resolving legal issues.
- A focus on client needs with a commitment to timing, quality and client service.
- A business partner, who likes working side-by-side with business teams, and is receptive to opposing views.
- A strong work ethic and the ability to prioritize and follow through on numerous projects simultaneously.
- 10+ years of legal experience working on a wide range of legal matters. Previous in-house counsel experience preferred.
- J.D. degree, a member in good standing of at least one state bar.
- Ability to travel as necessary, 25% of the time.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- Requires physical ability and mental acuity to execute the duties of the position successfully within required timeframes in order to meet business requirements.
About Cox Automotive
Cox Automotive Inc. makes buying, selling and owning cars easier for everyone. The global company’s 34,000-plus team members and family of brands, including Autotrader®, Dealer.com®, Dealertrack®, Kelley Blue Book®, Manheim®, NextGear Capital®, VinSolutions®, vAuto® and Xtime®, are passionate about helping millions of car shoppers, tens of thousands of auto dealer clients across five continents and many others throughout the automotive industry thrive for generations to come. Cox Automotive is a subsidiary of Cox Enterprises Inc., a privately-owned, Atlanta-based company with revenues exceeding $20 billion. For more information about Cox Automotive, visit www.coxautoinc.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual’s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Statement to ALL Third-Party Agencies and Similar Organizations: Cox accepts resumes only from agencies with which we formally engage their services. Please do not forward resumes to our applicant tracking system, Cox employees, Cox hiring manager, or send to any Cox facility. Cox is not responsible for any fees or charges associated with unsolicited resumes.
Organization: Cox Automotive
Primary Location: US-GA-Atlanta-6205 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Unposting Date: Ongoing